Sunday, September 11, 2005

Seeking Proper Fear

I wonder what it means to fear God. I have had many people tell me many different things regarding this particular command, but the fact is, I just don't quite get it yet. I have no one who has told me something that makes perfect sense. Because, honestly, I think fear is a healthy reaction to the person of God. I mean fear. True fear. I think we should be afraid. Maybe that's why when the angels appear to men, they immediately say "Have no fear." They don't want men to fear them, because men are to fear God. I understand that this fear should be healthy, mixed with and authored from love, but the fact is: God should be a little more frightening. I'm still wrestling with the idea.

I hope that undersanding the proper way to fear God will enrich my life with Him. I don't want to go overboard with this, and fear Him to the point where I'm chaining myself to the law as if it were a millstone, but I do want a healthy balance of love and fear when it comes to God. I'm still trying to figure out just how we're supposed to fear God, but it's something I'm willing to wrestle with. It's something I'm willing to figure out.

I've spent the past several years of my life focusing on the love God has for me, now I think I need to focus more on the fear I should have for Him.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Hi Joshua!

I agree with you 100%. "Fear of God" is something that is rarely spoken of in todays Christian circles. I find is amzing how it was taught for over 1900 years, but in the last few decades, it has become a no-no to even mention.

Your sister in Christ,
Walking_In_His_Steps
http://walkinginhissteps.blogspot.com/