Monday, April 02, 2007

Daylight Savings... Round Two

So, I have a Motorola Q. I like the phone... it has it's ups and downs.

Anyway, my Q didn't change time when it was supposed to. I could have plugged it into my computer, and it would have updated itself, but the last time I plugged my phone into my computer, it erased every phone number I had. So, I'm a little gun shy.

So, for the past six weeks, I've been walking around with a phone that's an hour slow, and a watch that's correct. It worked out okay. Every morning, I would look at my phone, and see that it said 6:45 and I knew that meant 7:45.

So (you know where this is going) this morning I woke up to a student calling me. Not unusual. I looked at the phone and saw that it said 7:20 which meant 8:20. I had to be in the office this morning at 9:00, so I lay in bed for a few more minutes. I then yanked myself out of the sheets, and went to the bathroom where I did my morning routine. (Except this morning I saw that one of my sideburns was a lot lower than the other, so I had to do some trimming.)

I looked at my phone which told me that the time was 7:45 which meant 8:45, so I walked to the Kiosk to get a cup of coffee and a yogurt. (That's my traditional breakfast here on campus.)

The Kiosk was pretty dead, but that's not entirely unusual. So, I got my coffee and my yogurt, and I went to the office. When I got into the building that has my office in it, the door to the stairwell was closed. That's pretty out of the ordinary. I've never actually seen that door closed before, but whatever. Not outside the realm of possibility.

Then, when I got into the hallway that leads to the housing office I saw that the housing office door was closed. Now that I've never seen. (Well not during normal business hours at least.) I glanced up at the clock hanging on the wall and realized that it was telling me the time was 7:59. Which meant 7:59. I looked at my watch: 8:02, which meant 8:02. Then, I reached into my pocket and pulled out my slim little phone: 7:57, which-now-means, 7:57. My phone had changed times in the middle of the night, and I was totally unaware. I was an hour early to work.

So, I decided I would make the most of it, and let you all know what a fun morning this was for me. I sat down for a bit outside, ate my yogurt, drank my coffee and listened to the birds that have returned look for one another in the trees. Then, I came up here and typed it all out for you.


Sara B said...

That sucks.

I can definitely sympathize with that experience; my apple computer (which I love with all my heart and soul) is getting old. I think I've told you before that in dog years, it's 98 years old. So it's about ready for retirement. Well, it likes to jump forward an hour about every other week. And even though I've repeatedly had this experience, it never fails to send me for a loop...

I'm glad you enjoyed the birds. You should have come to breakfast - I'm there every weekday morning at 8 am!!

Joshua said...

That's it: I'm coming to breakfast tomorrow at 8am. See you there.

Anonymous said...

nice color choice

Tim 2 said...

I am not at all surprised by this.

Tim 2 said...

You should see the rocket launcher I got from Mom's house today! She tried to convince me to take it to Chicago with me, but I know those bastards at the security stations would never let me on board with such a dangerous device. What with the Salami Seeking missles and all!

The thumb grip firing action has to be some of the most comfortable I have ever held.

I am positive that bald headed war monger on Future weapons hasn't seen this piece of high tech weaponry!