Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Leader in Training

Well, I'm learning a lot about what it means to be a leader. I have learned that I used to be the guy who takes charge and pushes other people out of control, and I am learning a lot about stepping aside, being a little more of a wall flower, and letting other people learn the lessons I learned about leadership. This is proving to be one of the best lessons of my life.

I am really enjoying my time out here, but as I move on in my training, I have come to realize that the best leaders, the most respected leaders in this community are the ones who aren't pushing themselves into positions of leadership. They are the ones who are doing what they consider to be the will of God, and as they do it, they are being rewarded with the respect and trust of those around them.

I want to be that. I want to be a safe place. I want to be someone people can turn to, and someone less concerned about advancement and more concerned about mutual edification. I hope this becomes a characteristic of my life. Pray for this.

No comments: