Sunday, June 21, 2009

Neda

It's father's day, and I can't help but think of Neda's father and the video of him screaming while his daughter bleeds to death on a street in Tehran. She was shot and killed by a government paramilitary man who was hiding in a nearby building simply because she was in the street, protesting. It is deeply saddening. Now that I have a daughter, I can't help but think of the emotions I would be feeling if I were him. I imagine I would be erupting inside, with nothing to throw my anger on. While I'm not certain what to think of Moussavi, he is not the saint he's being painted by some media outlets, I am glad to see that the people of Iran are proving that the sovereignty of a dictator can be forced by the hand of the people he rules. Maybe, Neda did not die in vain. But no matter what her effect may be on this revolt, I can't help but feel deeply sad for her father on father's day. To think, earlier today, I was sitting at the table sharing my bubble tea with Norah; and this man is half a world away, probably with his daughter's blood still under his fingernails, weeping. Sorry, I don't mean to be ultra dramatic or anything, I just can't stop thinking about it.

1 comment:

That's A Rapp said...

Joshua, thank you for your post. I do not think you are being overly dramatic. On the contrary I think we as Americans too often remove ourselved emotionally from the rest of the world just because our proximity is so far removed. I have been trying to picture if that were in the U.S. and one of my friends, or me. What a sobering thought. I am thankful for the freedoms I have and I know they were bought much the same way. I'm going to do my best to pray diligently for them.