Monday, June 29, 2009

Norah's Purple Bike


When I was a kid, I had a dream one night that my parents had bought me a purple bike. When I got up, I didn't realize it was a dream, so I tore down the stairs and into the kitchen. I wolfed down my breakfast and said "Ok! Can I go ride my purple bike now?!" My mom looked confused and said "What purple bike?" So I reminded her of how she had bought me a purple bike, and we had put it next to the garage last night before I went to bed. She told me that it must have been a dream. Knowing that she was joking, I asked again, and she let me run out to the driveway. I ran next to the garage, and sure enough, there next to the garage, were the garbage cans. Just where they always were. No purple bike. It was a dream all along.

Why am I telling you this? Well, you should know that my friend Annette and her roommate have two cats. When Rach, Norah and I go to their apartment, Norah always runs into their bedrooms, lays on her belly, lifts up the bed skirt, and says "Meow! Meow!" Because the cats always hide from Norah under the bed. Then, this weekend, we went to my sister-in-law's baby shower in Madison at their friend K.C. and Todd's house. K.C. and Todd also own two cats. So, for most of the time that I was there, Norah was running around the house, looking under tables and pointing at curtains saying, "Meow! Meow!" What can I say? The girl likes cats.

So, I'm telling you the story about my purple bike, because ever since Norah woke up this morning, she's been walking around the apartment looking under ever piece of furniture we own saying "Meow! Meow!" And the only explanation I can think of, is that she had a dream last night, that we got a purple cat.

1 comment: