Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Macaroni and Cheese Experiment

I've looked online for some good macaroni and cheese recipes, and just can't seem to find anything that I think will taste like I want it. I'm looking for a really creamy, cheesy sauce that isn't oily and stringy. I'm also looking to get away from baking it, as I think that will reduce the creamy factor.

Seeing as I couldn't find anything online that I was enthused about, I figured I would try to make up a recipe. So, I'm going to document tonight's dinner experience and post about it later. (Probably tonight, but I do have work to do you know.)

Anyway, I also have an apple pie on the brain, so I have to get started. More to come...




Ok, so I did it. When I got started I realized that we had talked about trying to work more veggies into Norah's diet, so I started off by blending up a huge carrot and a zucchini. Toss that on to boil, and shredded some Cheddar, Gouda, and Fontinella cheese. Added that to the carrot/zucchini sauce and stir until melted. Then, I added some skim milk, and salt and pepper. Then, toss in a slurry (mix flour and water in a glass, then add it to the sauce.) Let the mixture simmer for a while. I then boiled up some shells and tossed them into the cheese sauce, and Norah ate it! WOW!!!!

I have pictures from the whole thing, but I have to do some homework so this will be a three-part post.

Oh, and I accidentally bought waaaaay too many apples, so I had to make two apple pies. Darn. ;)

6 comments:

Heather said...

You're making me hungry. I have a good recipe for mac and cheese but it involves baking it. The best is trader joe's frozen mac and cheese.

Becky said...

Here's another one, although it probably has a lot of fat too, but we love it! Barefoot Contessa's cauliflower gratin tastes like mac & cheese but has no noodles. We've decided ANYTHING in gratin is yummy.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/cauliflower-gratin-recipe/index.html

Carrie Babcock said...

Great idea with the vegetables. If Norah liked it you should get the book Deceptively Delicious. It uses the concept of fruit and vegetable purees in everyday recipes. There is a banana bread recipe with cauliflower puree or quesadillas with butternut squash puree. There is a ton of interesting recipes in the book.

Unknown said...

Sounds yummy! Try Alton Brown's Stove Top Mac & Cheese- it is fabulous! Although I never use just one kind of cheese!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/stove-top-mac-n-cheese-recipe/index.html

Unknown said...

My sister had a mac and cheese recipe that was fantastic and creamy and was cooked in a crock pot. Definitely not healthy though, and none of that vegetable crap in there.

Tim and Deane said...

Mac and cheese, and apple pie are your comfort foods. That's what I always made for you when you were sick, or had a bad day. Hope you're okay.

Love the mac and cheese recipes everyone contributed - but don't think I can change how I make apple pie.