Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Bush: Wind it till it breaks.

Bush was forced by the supreme court this week to pull back a bit on his stance that the Geneva Conventions apply to Al Qaeda. I don't know what took so long, but now the President is being forced to say "Ok. We're not allowed to torture terrorists anymore, and if we think someone's a terrorist, we still have to give them a trial."

The strange thing, is that the President is actually saying stuff like that. What has happened in this country that we are at a point where the President has to say "We won't torture terrorists any more?"

I saw a pamphlet calling for the impeachment of the President a few weeks ago, and I thought, "What's going on? Why are we going to do this again? Is impeachment going to be the new fashionable thing to do to a president?" But I'm starting to realize, we have someone in power who is tapping our phone lines, collecting our bank information, holding people prisoner without trial, waging wars without the approval of the UN, falsly reporting intelligence information in order to bolster false claims to support a motive for war, and torturing prisoners in violation of a sixty year old international treaty. I feel like I'm starting to sound like a conspiracy theorist, only this is all stuff in the New York Times. I'm not talking about mysteries here, I'm talking stuff that's all over the news, but for some reason isn't a huge deal to the average American. Bill Clinton stained a dress and he was impeached. George Bush started taking lives years ago.

Seriously... what's happening?

No comments: