Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Getting Credit Card Applications in the Mail?

If you are like me, then you might be getting more and more credit card applications in the mail each week. I was researching into this bothersome junkmail and it turns out: the four major credit processing companies, Inovis, Transunion, Equifax, and Experion are all permitted to sell your contact information to companies for promotional offers. Everyone in America has to have a credit score, these four companies keep up to date information on you, and sell that information to credit card and insurance companies. All of this is perfectly legal, and pretty annoying for me.

Well, I called Transunion and asked them to take me off of those lists, and they did. (They have to, it's the law.) They also gave me a phone number anyone can call to remove their names from these lists. I called the number, and now my name and contact information is blocked from credit card companies for use in promotional offers.

If you are getting these mailings, and don't want to any more, call (888) 567-8688. You will go through an automated process to update your mailing information, and then choose to have that information blocked from being sent to credit card or insurance companies for the next 5 years. That means no more junk mail from credit cards or insurance companies for the next 5 years. This will not block companies from checking your credit score, which you'll more than likely find helpful, but it will restrict them from being able to send you junk mail.

That's all. I was bothered by the junk mail, and found a way to stop it. So, I figured I'd pass the information on. There you are.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, man. I was already mad cause of all this pieces of paper!
Now I'll try to remove this problem by your way. Will see...