Thursday, March 16, 2006

Rachel, You're not going to like this post.

Rachel doesn't like it when I go on rants in my blog. She say's I sound mad. I'm not sure I like it either, but at any rate... this is what I want to say:

I am upset with the way the problems in this country are being addressed. And I'm uspet with how I'm addressing those concerns myself. Here's the thing:

I just went to a blog and read a post which was essentially a string of things that are wrong with America. Poor people. Lots of Guns. Blacks in Prison. Violence in School. Prejudice. Economic persecution... etc... and I'm sick of the talk.

Yesterday Kerry Kennedy came to campus at WJU to talk about her book which apparently has a whole lot to say about helping the poor. Several students skipped out on their committment to do a bread run so they could go hear Kerry talk about helping the poor. They gave up plans to help the poor in favor of hearing someone talk about helping the poor. Ugh.

I know I do this sort of thing a lot, and I'm doing it right now. But I am just a little sick of the talk. I guess what I'm saying is: when it comes to talking about things like poverty and injustice, put up or shut up.

2 comments:

Joshua said...

I'm going to comment on my own posting to say that this is one of those instances where my passion turns me into a jerk. I'm not really all that sorry.

Anonymous said...

Bravo!

Doing the right thing might be harder than talking about the right thing, but it is infinitely more useful.