Thursday, August 07, 2008

New Job

Well, it's official. I'm working for an hourly wage again. Yesterday was my first day behind the Deli counter at a neighborhood grocery store called Hyde Park Produce. It's not glamorous, but there's something I enjoy about working in the Deli Department. I did it one summer while I worked through college and enjoyed it. It appears as though much of it comes right back to you. I spent most of the day shouting to Karen and Carlina asking the numbers for the various meat products, but for the most part, I think I did okay. They want me back at least. I work again tonight.

I actually enjoy the hourly grunt work stuff. It's simple, it's pretty brainless, and you get to interact with people. All the while, you know you're getting paid for what you're doing. Not a lot, sure, but you're getting paid.

I have an interview on Friday at Starbucks to see if I want to work there instead. Unless they offer me a lot more money though, I think I'll stay behind the Deli counter for a while.

"Can I get you something else?"

5 comments:

Nicole and Scott Kesten said...

i will take a pound of honey ham...

so, let's get together soon! will be in the city august 22nd evening to pick up a race packet

Joshua said...

I would love to, let me just see what they want to start scheduling for me at the grocery store there, and I'll let you know when we'll be available. Right now, they are scheduling me on a day to day basis, but I think soon they'll give me a more definite schedule, at least week by week hopefully.

Joshua said...

Ohhhhhh I forgot about those strombolis. Man those were good.

Jim Elek said...

A vegetarian working the deli counter? i see eating meat in your near future.

Joshua said...

Actually working at the deli counter is only reinforcing my being a vegetarian. I literally have my fingers in beef and chicken and turkey for 20 plus hours a week, and I NEVER feel the urge to eat it. Once you open a brand new package of head cheese, and smell that dripping gelatinous mess they make out of cow feet and shards of left over pig faces and chicken lips. Yeah, cutting that up into a half pound of thin slices pretty much guarantees I'm never eating anything that breathed ever again.

I don't care what anyone says, deli meat is SICK! All of it.